When it comes to Super Bowl snacks this Sunday, you can take Food Network star Sandra Lee’s concept of “Semi-Homemade” to a whole new level. How? With fast food that is specially tweaked to score major touchdowns with your guests. Yep, we’re talking KFC and Dunkin’ Donuts, but with your own unique additions.
Allison Beck, editor at www.thedailymeal.com, set about finding last-minute party fixes that take simple, inexpensive take-out to the next level with some minor enhancements you probably already have in your pantry. As Beck says, “We’re busy people and you’ve got to find shortcuts.”
Read on for a few of Beck’s ingenious ideas.
1. Sticky rice lifesaver: When making burritos or chili, get Chinese takeout white rice to accompany the dish. It’s inexpensive and cooked perfectly. No one will be the wiser.
2. KFC’s Grilled Chicken: Get a bucket of grilled chicken, coat it with sauce (hot, BBQ or otherwise), get some buns, lettuce and tomato — and voila! A sammie that’s sure to please.
- PHOTOS: What's Brewing in Steamy Hallows, the Harry Potter-Inspired Cafe19 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Frida Kahlo at the Brooklyn Museum doesn't hold back23 Pictures
3. Dress up your plain-jane pizza: Add fresh arugula and maybe even some truffle oil to your local delivery pizza. Cut the slices into bite-sized pieces for classy apps.
4. Dunkin’ Donuts desserts: Want some instant profiteroles? Get some doughnut holes, slice them in half, add some ice cream and boom! You’ve got a whole lot of delicious.
5. Go to White Castle: Or really any burger joint, but White Castle specializes in the 30-pack that’ll easily double for your own party’s sliders. Garnish them with a tomato chutney, horseradish or a special cheese to kick it up a notch in the flavor department.