Registered dietitian Laura Cipullo, along with the editors of Prevention magazine, came up with 200 indulgent recipes for diabetics with "The Diabetes Comfort Food Diet Cookbook." Try this indulgent breakfast this weekend, and for more recipes and advice get the book online here.
Chocolate-Banana-Stuffed French Toast
- PHOTOS: Celebrities attend 'Avengers: Endgame' premiere in Los Angeles29 Pictures
- PHOTOS: This Pakistani waiter looks just like Peter Dinklage8 Pictures
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Makes 4 servings
1 unripe banana, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons almond butter
2 tablespoons hazelnut spread
4 teaspoons dark chocolate chips
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
8 slices sprouted whole grain bread
1/2 cup unsweetened soy or almond milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
1. To make the filling: Mash about one-quarter of the banana slices in a small bowl with the back of a spoon. (You should have about 2 tablespoons mashed.) Stir in the almond butter, chocolate hazelnut spread, chocolate chips, nutmeg and cinnamon until smooth.
2. To make the French toast: Spread 4 slices of the bread with the banana filling, dividing evenly. Top with the remaining banana slices and bread slices to make 4 sandwiches.
3. In a shallow dish or pie plate, whisk together the milk, eggs, vanilla and cinnamon until blended. Dip the sandwiches into the egg mixture, turning them over with a spatula to coat both sides, and set on a plate.
4. Heat a large nonstick skillet or griddle over medium-low heat and coat with cooking spray. Cook the sandwiches for 8 minutes, turning once, until golden and cooked through. Dust with powdered sugar if desired.
Why it works
Curbing carbs: Out with the white and in with the wholesome grains, seeds and nuts. This not only increases the firmness of the bread but adds flavor and keeps carbs curbed.
Filling up on fiber: Both whole grain bread and banana slices boost the fiber in this old-time favorite. Using sprouted whole grain bread lets you subtract carbs from your total intake.
Favoring fats: Using cooking spray instead of butter to grease the pan decreases the saturated fat. Using almond butter and even hazelnut butter provides you with monounsaturated fats.