Thanksgiving recipe: Guilt-free holiday treat
Chef and TV host Kelsey Nixon of "Kelsey's Kitchen" joined forces withHershey's Moderation Nation program to create recipes that allow us toindulge during the holidays -- without the guilt.
Chef and TV host Kelsey Nixon of "Kelsey's Kitchen" joined forces with Hershey's Moderation Nation program to create recipes that allow us to indulge during the holidays -- without the guilt. Her solution: mini desserts. "Rather than filling up a whole plate with your dessert, bake or serve them in small containers like shot glasses or mini mason jars to help you keep the portions small, but fun," says Nixon. "It is also fun to give these as gifts or party favors over the holidays," she adds.
Maple Cream Brownie Shots
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
? cup HERSHEY's Natural Unsweetened Cocoa
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Maple cream ingredients:
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (1 tablespoon per serving)
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
? cup HEATH Toffee Bits, divided (1 teaspoon per serving)
16 fresh raspberries, divided (1 per serving)
1. Brownies: Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8-by-8 baking dish.
2In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder and sugar until combined.
3. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, applesauce, vegetable oil and vanilla extract. Add mixture to dry ingredients stirring to combine completely. Pour batter in even layer in prepared pan.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool pan on wire rack. Once cooled roughly cut brownies into (32) 1-by-1 squares; reserve remaining brownies for another use.
5. Maple cream: Add heavy cream and maple syrup to small mixing bowl. Whip until soft peaks form.
6. Assemble in a shot glass: Starting with one brownie square for the bottom layer, spoon 1/2 tablespoon of maple cream on top, followed by 1/2 teaspoon toffee bits. Repeat layering process once more with brownie, maple cream and toffee bits. Top with fresh raspberry for garnish.
Nutritional Information (per serving): Calories 150, Calories from Fat 60, Total Fat 7g (11% DV), Saturated Fat 3g (15% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 40mg (13% DV), Sodium 10mg (0% DV), Total Carbohydrate 22g (7% DV), Dietary Fiber 1g (4% DV), Sugars 17g, Protein 2g, Vitamin A (4% DV), Vitamin C (2% DV), Calcium (2% CV), Iron (2% DV)