Looking for that perfect apartment in New York is tough enough as it is. Add in Fido’s needs, and it’s an extremely difficult task! Green space and access to veterinarians and dog sitters are a must.
In celebration of National Dog Day on Saturday, August 26, check out this list of New York City’s most dog friendly neighborhoods compiled by StreetEasy. They partnered with Rover and used data from Yelp and the City of New York determine which neighborhoods were the most dog friendly, and came up with 4 factors:
- the share of pet-friendly rental listings in each neighborhood, found through StreetEasy
- the number of dog sitters in each neighborhood, found through Rover
- number of veterinarians in each neighborhood, found through Yelp
- nearby dog spaces: parks, runs, and off-leash areas, found through the City of New York
Here are the 10 most dog-friendly neighborhoods in New York City
1. Battery Park City
4. Financial District
5. Roosevelt Island
6. Columbia St. Waterfront District
9. Silver Lake
10. Downtown Brooklyn
So when you’re ready to make that move to a new place, keep these neighborhoods in mind that will cater to your pooch’s needs.
Some other cool dog tidbits StreetEasy found
42% of all the dogs in New York City are small dog breeds.
The most popular dog breed? Yorkshire Terriers make up 8.3% of the dog population in NYC.
Most common breeds
1. Yorkshire Terrier
2. Shih Tzu
4. Labrador Retriever
7. French Bulldog
8. Pitbull Mix
10. American Pit Bull Terrier
Go out and celebrate National Dog Day this weekend by adopting a dog that is waiting for its forever home!
StreetEasy will also be donating $100 to a local shelter in New York City, Animal Haven, for every pet adopted this weekend.