The fire that damaged a restaurant overnight was started by a basement water heater, authorities said.
The fire department was called to the scene around 12:25 a.m. for reports of smoke coming from the basement of the Baja Room on the 1500 block of South Street. Residents who lived in second and third-floor apartments above the restaurant were evacuated.
No injuries were reported, but the restaurant suffered from smoke damage.
- PHOTOS: Filipino devotees nailed to crosses to re-enact crucifixion4 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Memorial spotlights the man behind Nipsey Hussle rap persona14 Pictures