You can make your own garden, even if you live in a city apartment.
Part of Earth Day is learning how to make your own life a little greener — glance at Anthropologie’s store windows for a little inspiration.
The store decorated their windows for the holiday, with container gardening as a theme.
Workers spent more than 1,000 hours creating the displays, united by a garden vegetable theme with recycled materials like plastic bottles and newspapers.
Anthropologie’s display director Erika Sorgule gave us some tips on how you can start container gardening:
- Almost anything can be turned into a container, so start with what's around you! Do you have a few cans or bottles lying around? How about a cement block, a wood crate or your favorite Anthropologie mug or bowl? The fun comes from reusing something, giving the old a new life.
- Plant what you love! Do you want beautiful flowers to brighten your morning, or tasty veggies to snack on all day long?
- Size is key! It's all about pairing the right-size plant with the right-size container. A plant needs room to grow and thrive, so a bit of space that can be filled in with fresh soil or compost will make a world of difference.
- Don't forget the research! Every plant is different, so reading up on each can set you up for gardening success.
- Nurture, nurture, nurture! Water, nutrients and lots of love will keep those plants strong and beautiful!