Store personnel at the Victoria's Secret store in Herald Square made a shocking discovery when they stopped a teenage girl to search her bag.
The NYPD said two 17-year-old girls were stopped in the store by a security guard who believed they were shoplifting. The guard searched one of the girl's bags and discovered what appeared to be the remains of a dead fetus or newborn.
- PHOTOS: New art and old relics at Mickey Mouse's NYC gallery 25 Pictures
- PHOTOS: See Yes on 3 supporters react to historic transgender rights Question 3 win 11 Pictures
- PHOTOS: A look back at Queen performing in the 1970s and 1980s 22 Pictures
- All of these celebrities have had their nudes leaked 35 Pictures
- PHOTOS: A look at Idris Elba's style through the years 20 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Heidi Klum's annual Halloween party and other amazing celebrity costumes 17 Pictures
- These are the spookiest cities per capita in the U.S. 5 Pictures
- Food Network star talks pumpkin carving 1 Pictures
- Who is Alexander Edwards, Amber Rose's new boyfriend? 9 Pictures
- Is Cardi B pregnant again? This tweet has people guessing 6 Pictures
- Natural Museum's best wildlife photos of the year 5 Pictures
The remains were wrapped in a black plastic bag, a law enforcement official said, which was wrapped in clothing.
Police said they do not know the stage of development of the remains. The Medical Examiner will determine when the baby was delivered and if it was born alive.
A police source said that the girl told responding officers that she miscarried yesterday afternoon at her friend's house in Queens. She said she was six months pregnant.
The girl was taken to Bellevue Hospital, police said. Her friend was taken into custody for questioning.
The investigation is ongoing.
Follow Danielle Tcholakian on Twitter @danielleiat