Multiple dead trains on the MBTA caused a severe backup during Friday morning's commute.
The transit agency told the Boston Globe that disabled trains blocked tracks on the Green, Orange and Red lines. The MBTA is investigating the breakdowns, and tweeted an apology to passengers:
We apologize for delays this AM but we'll soon be replacing 44-yr-old Red Line cars w/ new ones- learn more: http://t.co/v8WUZCsDPL
— MBTA (@MBTA) Nov. 8
"Soon" appears to be relative: The first new trains won't be delivered until 2018.
Commuters took to social media to vent their frustration about the delays, reporting crowds of angry riders on T platforms.
The Red Line taunts me with its disabled train...as it sits in the tunnel. #mbta #redline #boston #parkst http://t.co/pEb0M4WatB
— Dominique Thomas (@hellophoto) Nov. 8
One person waiting for the train at North Quincy said commuters had been waiting almost an hour.
Commuters have been waiting at N Quincy since 7:35am. When will there be room on the #mbta to get on? #freezing & it's not even snowing yet.
— Jessica (@FollowJtam) Nov. 8
Packed platform, packed trains, 7 minutes between trains. Another Red line fiasco. #mbtaannoy #mbta
— johnmcboston (@johnmcboston) Nov. 8
Follow Metro Boston on Twitter:@MetroBOS