Staten Island Ferry riders got an unexpected jolt Thursday afternoon when the vessel they were riding slammed into a Manhattan ferry terminal.
Officials confirmed that the ferry had departed from Whitehall terminal and reached as far as Governor's Island when the captain discovered some sort of mechanical issue.
Officials were unsure of the specifics of the issue.
The captain turned around and headed back to Whitehall terminal, warning the passengers to brace for impact, police said.
- All of these celebrities have had their nudes leaked 35 Pictures
- Here's what it's like to fish for your dinner at Zauo NYC (photos) 21 Pictures
- PHOTOS: The best cosplay of NYCC 2018, Day 3 44 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Looking back at Heidi Klum's best Halloween costumes 19 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Nightmare Machine, the haunted house for millennials 14 Pictures
- American Music Awards 2018: Red carpet looks, list of winners 23 Pictures
- Who is Alexander Edwards, Amber Rose's new boyfriend? 9 Pictures
- Are Blac Chyna and Rob Kardashian getting back together? 8 Pictures
- Anne Frank's Diary now comes as a graphic novel 3 Pictures
- Reimagine End of Life celebrates all things death and dying 5 Pictures
- 2018 Emmy Awards: List of winners, red carpet looks 29 Pictures
The ferry made a "hard landing" into the dock, causing some damage to the dock, police said.
The fire department said they received a call at 3:10 p.m., though the caller said the ferry had bumped the dock some time earlier.
Fire department personnel were still on scene about an hour later, though officials said no one had reported any injuries or requested medical attention, and nobody had fallen overboard.
Follow Danielle Tcholakian on Twitter @danielleiat