Fire Commissioner Lloyd Ayers announced today that the Fire Marshal has determined the causes of two fires that killed six people over the weekend.
The fire that killed a woman, 79, and her great granddaughter, 4, on the 1200 block of Firth Street in North Philadelphia early Sunday started in the kitchen and was caused by cooking.
The blaze on the 5200 block of Chancellor Street in West Philadelphia that claimed the lives of a family of four Monday morning was an electrical fire caused by non-permanent wiring, which include devices such as extension cords. It started in the living room area.
- PHOTOS: Celebrities attend 'Avengers: Endgame' premiere in Los Angeles29 Pictures
- PHOTOS: This Pakistani waiter looks just like Peter Dinklage8 Pictures
The Fire Commissioner reminds citizens to follow the below safety tips:
- Keep your kitchen stove and oven clean of grease.
Make sure that curtains near kitchen ranges and heaters are arranged so they don't blow over the appliances.
Never leave food on the stove unattended.
Turn handles of pots on the stove inward.
Avoid overloading electrical outlets with multiple attachment plugs or long extension cords.
Frequently check extension and appliance cords for wear.
Don't drape extension cords or wire over pipes or nails.
Make sure air conditioners and other heavy-duty appliances are running on special circuits.
Develop a home escape plan with your family, including a predetermined location to meet outside.
Make sure there is at least one smoke detector on each floor of the home, test them weekly and replace their batteries every year.