APewCharitable Trusts study of the Free Library of Philadelphia found that an astonishing 34 percent of the library's visitors come there to access healthcare information.
Now, the Free Library has Certified Application Counselors ready, willing and able to guide members of the public through the Obamacare application process at Free Library branches across the city.
"We have 1,000 public access computers," said Siobhan Reardon, president and director of the Free Library of Philadelphia. "We have a staff that’s knowledgeable and willing."
"One of the first things Obama said about the Affordable Care Act was to encourage people to go their libraries," Reardon continued.
There are 34 counselors now working for the Free Library at various branches. Applicants can sign up by scheduling an appointment or just dropping in to the Parkway Central Library.
- PHOTOS: What's Brewing in Steamy Hallows, the Harry Potter-Inspired Cafe19 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Frida Kahlo at the Brooklyn Museum doesn't hold back23 Pictures
"We can guide someone through the process," said Autumn McClintock, one of the counselors working at the Free Library.
Counselors will help applicants all the way through the health-care application process to the point where they can be fully insured.
The program runs through the end of March when the season for open enrollment will end.
Call to make an appointment
• Charles L. Durham Library, 3320 Haverford Ave., 215-685-7436
• Joseph E. Coleman Northwest Regional Library, 68 W. Chelten Ave., 215-685-2153
• Kensington Library, 104 W. Dauphin St., 215-685-9996
• Lillian Marrero Library, 601 W. Lehigh Ave., 215-685-9794
• Lucien E. Blackwell West Philadelphia Regional Library, 125 S. 52nd St., 215-685-7433
• Northeast Regional Library, 2228 Cottman Ave., 215-685-0522
• Ramonita G. de Rodriguez Library, 600 W. Girard Ave., 215-686-1768
• Walnut Street West Library, 201 S. 40th St., 215-685-7671
• Whitman Library, 200 Snyder Ave., 215-685-1754
• Widener Library, 2808 W. Lehigh Ave., 215-685-9798
• Wynnefield Library, 5325 Overbrook Ave., 215-685-0298
• Parkway Central Library, 1901 Vine St. -- open at the Tech Lab from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the following days:
January 24 and 27; February 3, 14, 17, and 28; March 3, 10, 14, 17, 21, 24, 28, and 31.
What to bring
•Social Security number, documents numbers for legal immigrants
•Employer and income information for every member of your household who needs coverage
•Policy numbers for any current health insurance plans
•A completed Employer Coverage Tool form (can be provided at the library)
Follow Sam Newhouse on Twitter: @scnewhouse
Follow Metro Philadelphia on Twitter: @metrophilly
Follow Metro Philadelphia on Facebook: Metro Philadelphia