The Metro-North Railroad and New York Blood Center are hosting a blood drive at Grand Central Terminal Thursday, encouraging New Yorkers to "give the gift of life" during their commute.
How to donate:
- The drive will be held at Vanderbilt Hall in Grand Central from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Bring identification with a photo or signature.
- Eat and drink fluids before the donation, but juice and cookies are provided after.
- Donors will also get a free "mini-medical exam," where they will get information about their temperature, blood pressure and iron level.
- Donors must be at least 16 years old (with parental consent for minors), weigh at least 110 pounds and meet certain criteria. Those over 75 can donate with a doctor's note.
- Anyone interested in donating can call the blood center at 800-933-2566 to schedule an appointment or go online for more information. Walk-ins are also welcomed.
Follow Anna Sanders on Twitter @AnnaESanders