High temperatures played an even bigger role than originally thought in the 116th running of the Boston Marathon Monday as defending men's champion Geoffrey Mutai dropped out of the race after 18 miles due to cramps.
Kenya's Wesley Korir took advantage of the situation, taking the men's race with an unofficial time of 2:12:40.
Kenya's Sharon Cherop was a winner on the women's side, edging Jemima Jelagat Sumgong, with an unofficial time of 2:31:50.
- PHOTOS: Filipino devotees nailed to crosses to re-enact crucifixion4 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Memorial spotlights the man behind Nipsey Hussle rap persona14 Pictures
Men's Top 5
1. Wesley Korir KEN 2:12:40
2. Levy Matebo KEN 2:13:06
3. Bernard Kipyego KEN 2:13:13
4. Jason Hartmann USA 2:14:31
5. Wilson Chebet KEN 2:14:56
Women's Top 5
1. Sharon Cherop KEN 2:31:50
2. Jemima Jelagat Sumgong KEN 2:31:52
3. Georgina Rono KEN 2:33:09
4. Firehiwot Dado ETH 2:34:56
5. Diana Sigei KEN 2:35:40
Top American: Mayumi Fujita USA 2:39:11