Mayor Bill de Blasio, who has previously said cell phones not being allowed in schools created a safety issue, said Tuesday reversing the school cell phone ban is becoming a priority.
The mayor said his son Dante, a senior at Brooklyn Technical High School, does bring a cell phone to school. De Blasio said the policies following former Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s 2007 plan was more or less left up to individual schools, or a “don’t ask don’t tell” kind of policy.
“To unwind that and come up with something consistent has taken some work. We do intend to get there, but we have to figure out the right way to do it” de Blasio said.
The mayor added his son’s school is “pretty open” on cell phones.
De Blasio said now that the universal pre-K and other programs are up and running, along with other initiatives, he’s going to “turn to other issues like cell phones.”
During his 2013 campaign, de Blasio said he intended to reverse the cell phone ban in schools.