Home
 
Choose Your City
Change City

Mother arrested for CO gas poisoning

A Brentwood mother is facing reckless endangerment charges and is battling for her life in an East Meadow hospital after lighting a barbecue grill inside of her home.

A Brentwood mother is facing reckless endangerment charges and is battling for her life in an East Meadow hospital after lighting a barbecue grill inside of her home. It was a move that sent her and four of her family members to the hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning.

Marie Claudia Blaise, a 43-year-old mother of three, lit a charcoal grill inside of her home at 196 Merrill St. to heat the house after the family had run out of heating oil.

Suffolk County police arrived at the home at 4:03 a.m. yesterday after receiving a 911 emergency call from Blaise’s husband Yves, who said a woman in the house had passed out. When officers arrived at the home they discovered Marie and the couple’s 13-year-old son both unconscious and their 10-year-old daughter semiconscious. Yves and 16-year-old daughter Frandia were able to walk out of the house on their own.

The entire family was transported to Southside Hospital in Bay Shore for carbon monoxide poisoning, where Marie Claudia was arrested for child endangerment as well.

The family members were treated and released, except for Marie, who remains in serious condition in the intensive care unit.

Yves protested that the endangerment charges are unnecessary because it was an accident.

But Suffolk County cops don’t agree.

“She broke the law and endangered her family,” said a police source on the condition of anonymity. “Her children had to be hospitalized because of her actions. Those kids could have died.”

 
 
Consider AlsoFurther Articles