A Philadelphia boxing promoter's conscience got the better of him after news of a George Zimmerman celebrity boxing match provoked nationwide outrage at the prospect of a known murderer achieving fame.
"I'm not interested in working with a killer," said Damon Feldman, the man behind Celebrity Boxing, of why he decided to not organize a George Zimmerman match.
- PHOTOS: Celebrities attend 'Avengers: Endgame' premiere in Los Angeles22 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Memorial spotlights the man behind Nipsey Hussle rap persona14 Pictures
"When I really looked into the case, I didn't want anything to do with it," Feldman saidat a press conference today in Broomall, explaining thathe previously was not aware of all the details of the Zimmerman case. "I didn't see the case, I heard the verdict, that's it. I just want to move on."
Feldman announced last week that Zimmerman was going to box rapper DMX, before announcing on Twitter over the weekend that he was rethinking the match.
However, Zimmerman will still participate in a March 15 fight in California.
Alki David, a British entrepeneur, has taken up promoting the fight and will stream it on his website, FilmOn.tv.
David spoke over the phone at the press conference to confirm that he is taking over the match, and said Zimmerman will not be paid for the event. He declined to go into further detail about the event.
"This is not a boxing fight, this is not a boxing match," David cryptically said at one point.
David did not state who Zimmerman's opponent will be.
Zimmerman, 30, shot and killed Trayvon Martin, 17, in February 2012 after a controversial altercation. Zimmerman was acquitted of murder.
Follow Sam Newhouse on Twitter: @scnewhouse
Follow Metro Philadelphia on Twitter: @metrophilly
Follow Metro Philadelphia on Facebook: Metro Philadelphia