Investigators were looking in to the death of a woman who was found inside a burning Brighton apartment this morning.
Firefighters responded to an apartment building at 2-4 Fidelis Way just before 9 a.m. today for a reported fire.
Crews were able to quickly put out the one-alarm fire in the fourth-floor apartment. But during their work they discovered the body of a dead woman inside.
Investigators from the Suffolk district attorney's office and Boston police and fire departments are trying to determine how the woman died.
Even before fire crews got to the flames they had their hands full.
- All of these celebrities have had their nudes leaked 35 Pictures
- Here's what it's like to fish for your dinner at Zauo NYC (photos) 21 Pictures
- PHOTOS: The best cosplay of NYCC 2018, Day 3 44 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Looking back at Heidi Klum's best Halloween costumes 19 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Nightmare Machine, the haunted house for millennials 14 Pictures
- American Music Awards 2018: Red carpet looks, list of winners 23 Pictures
- Who is Alexander Edwards, Amber Rose's new boyfriend? 9 Pictures
- Are Blac Chyna and Rob Kardashian getting back together? 8 Pictures
- Anne Frank's Diary now comes as a graphic novel 3 Pictures
- Reimagine End of Life celebrates all things death and dying 5 Pictures
- 2018 Emmy Awards: List of winners, red carpet looks 29 Pictures
When fire crews first entered the apartment they encountered a combative man who was armed with a weapon. Fire officials declined to say exactly what the weapon was.
"The man was combative toward the firefighters. He had a weapon in his hand. He was coming after, lunging after the firefighters," said Steve MacDonald, a fire department spokesman.
MacDonald said it was a smoke-filled room so firefighters were trying to get the man out. They were able to disarm him and took him outside to arriving police officers.
The man was taken to a hospital for smoke inhalation. None of the firefighters were injured.
MacDonald said firefighters also found a woman inside the apartment, but she was obviously dead when they arrived.
A spokesman for the Suffolk district attorney's office said a homicide prosecutor is on scene.