Slew of NYE homicides: Five killed in less than three hours

Five killed Saturday night through Sunday morning.

Police are investigating a rash of New Year's Eve homicides in which five people were killed between 11:50 p.m. Dec. 31, 2011 and 2:42 a.m. Jan. 1, 2012.


On Saturday, Dec. 31 shortly before 11:50 p.m., police responding to reports of a person with a gun on the 5600 block of North 2nd Street in Olney found a 2001 dark green Hyundai Elantra, parked but idling with the lights on.


Inside, the driver, a 31-year-old Hispanic woman, was slumped over in her seat and the passenger, a 36-year-old Hispanic man, had blood around his neck and on his shirt.


Both were pronounced dead on the scene at 11:55 p.m. The woman sustained gunshot wounds to the head, chest and finger, while the man was shot in the neck and head. Police have not yet released their identities pending family notification.


Police are seeking a black male with a brown complexion wearing glasses and all black clothing who fled the scene on foot.

On Sunday, January 1 around 12:11 a.m., officers responded to a call of a person with a weapon on the 2500 block of South Jessup Street in South Philadelphia, where they found Joseph Testa, 77, suffering from stab wounds to the chest.

Testa was taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and pronounced dead at 12:49 a.m. He was allegedly involved in an argument with Santo Mancuso, 52, of the 1000 block of Ritner Street, who was arrested on location. Mancuso is charged with murder and related offenses.

At 1:25 a.m., officers responding to the 4100 block of Orchard Street in Frankford found Gerard Market, 48, of the same block, with multiple gunshot wounds to the neck and back. He was taken to Temple University Hospital and pronounced dead at 1:44 a.m.

Police have not yet made any arrests, but said the motive is an argument.

At 2:42 a.m., police found a man, 23, lying on the street at 8th and Callowhill streets in Spring Garden with a gunshot wound to the shoulder. He was taken to Hahnemann Hospital and pronounced dead at 3:35 a.m. His identity has not been released pending family notification.

Latest From ...
Most Popular From ...