As police find more victims killed by Hurricane Sandy, it is becoming clear that Staten Island may have taken the brunt of the storm in the five boroughs.
About half of the 40 fatalities identified so far have been in Staten Island, according to officials.
The devastation included homes swept into marshes, neighbors killed in their own houses and NYPD air and scuba teams rescuing people from their rooftops.
Tragically, some of the deaths included children, like two boys whose bodies were found after they were swept from their mother’s arms.
“I am saddened by the amount of destruction and loss of property and lives that the people of Staten Island have suffered in the wake of Hurricane Sandy,” Staten Island Borough President James Molinaro said in a message to borough residents on his website.
He also included ways that locals can help, although he said he was “assured that help is coming from FEMA.”
Molinaro also told residents not to donate to the Red Cross, calling it an “absolute disgrace” because he said the response was not quick enough.
Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand said yesterday that 10 Red Cross trucks had arrived in Staten Island.
Schools, restaurants and bars, from the Drunken Monkey Bar in Brighton Heights to Arena Restaurant in Tottenville, signed up to receive donations of food, water, baby items, blankets and towels.
Those wanting to help can also donate to the Tunnel to Towers foundation, which is taking donations specifically for hurricane relief.
Ferry service to and from the island resumed just today, at noon from St. George Terminal in Staten Island and 12:30 p.m. from Whitehall Terminal in downtown Manhattan.
Meanwhile, some locals are appalled that Mayor Michael Bloomberg has decided that the ING New York City Marathon will go on as planned Sunday.
“If they take one first responder from Staten Island to cover this marathon I will scream,” Staten Island City Councilman Jimmy Oddo wrote on Twitter Wednesday. “We have people with no homes and no hope right now. “