Subway slasher pleads guilty, awaits sentence
A man who rampaged through Brooklyn and Manhattan on a killing spreelast February pleaded guilty yesterday to stabbing his final victim, whosurvived, on a 3 train.
A man who rampaged through Brooklyn and Manhattan on a killing spree last February pleaded guilty yesterday to stabbing his final victim, who survived, on a 3 train.
Maksim Gelman, 24, admitted to slashing Lincoln Center employee Joseph Lozito with a kitchen knife near Times Square. This was after Gelman had already killed four people in Brooklyn.
In a 15-minute court proceeding yesterday in Manhattan Supreme Court, Gelman confirmed that he tried to murder Lozito.
In November, Gelman pleaded guilty to four murders in a deadly outburst that began on Feb. 12 in Brighton Beach. His first victim was his stepfather, Alexander Kuznetsov, 54. He then went to the house of a former acquaintance, Yelena Bulchenko, 20, and killed her along with her mother, Anna Bulchenko, 56, according to his own admission.
Continuing his rampage, Gelman stole a car and struck and killed a pedestrian, Stephen Tanenbaum, 60. He then got on the subway and took the train into Manhattan. It was on a 3 train that had stopped at Times Square that Gelman stabbed Lozito, cutting him in his head and neck. Lozito miraculously survived the bloody attack.
After a 28-hour citywide manhunt, police nabbed Gelman Feb. 13.
He is expected to be sentenced to 100 years to life for the four murders, plus 25 years for the Lozito stabbing.
In a jailhouse interview, he told the Post he wanted to kill Levi Aron, the man accused of killing 8-year-old Leiby Kletzky. Gelman also told the Daily News he killed six additional people.
Follow Alison Bowen on Twitter @AlisonatMetro