Screen shot 2013-05-22 at 2.40.23 PM Screen shot
Following a massive public outcry over a bus tour of the Bronx that offered "a ride through a real New York City ‘GHETTO,'" Real Bronx Tours appeared to stop offering the tour before its Web site either crashed or was taken down.

The New York Post sparked the furor on Monday with an article detailing how the guide stopped at a food pantry so tourists could gawk at the people in line. The company charged $45 for the three-hour tour.

Former City Comptroller Bill Thompson hailed the news that the tour had been taken down as "victory" and roundly condemned the tour operators, saying they were "pathetic and despicable."

"The Bronx and its people have taken incredible steps forward, but clearly this company's owners are pathetic and despicable," he said in a statement. "Their tour is outrageous. Tourists from around the country and the world are welcome to the Bronx's historic communities, vibrant culture and terrific restaurants. But this company should just get out of town."

 

Former City Comptroller Bill Thompson today declared victory as the operators of Real Bronx Tours closed their doors under pressure from residents and officials. Thompson called the so-called ghetto tour "pathetic and despicable" for charging tourists $45 to see struggling New Yorkers.

"The Bronx and its people have taken incredible steps forward - creating economic opportunity, safer streets and vibrant communities for all of its people," said former Comptroller Bill Thompson. "This outrageous tour got what it deserved. The only thing left to say is don't let the door hit you on the way out of town."

Loading...
Latest From ...