A woman killed herself last night using a hazardous substance, which prompted a response to her South End apartment by a hazardous materials crew.
Earlier last night Boston police and paramedics responded to a South End
apartment for a possible overdose. The woman, whose name was not released,
was taken to Boston Medical Center where she later died.
A Boston University official confirmed this morning that the woman was a graduate student in the pharmacology program.
- PHOTOS: Filipino devotees nailed to crosses to re-enact crucifixion4 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Memorial spotlights the man behind Nipsey Hussle rap persona14 Pictures
The hazardous materials crew responded to the first-floor apartment at 676 Massachusetts Ave. about 11 p.m. yesterday, according to the Boston Fire Department.
After consulting with a doctor at the hospital, the haz mat crews responded to the apartment and collected some materials. They will eventually be turned over to police.
Fire officials said they believe the woman ingested sodium azide, a chemical used in the making of air bags, according to the Globe. It can turn into a type of cyanide.
The police officers and paramedics who initially responded were decontaminated at BMC. They were released and their vehicles were also checked for toxic substances.