This blue meth candy recipe from The Savoryis the perfect addition to any “Breaking Bad” viewing party you host over the next six weeks.
Heisenberg’s rock candy
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup light corn syrup
2 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons hard candy flavoring extract (try LorAnn flavorings – there are tons to choose from)
1 drop blue gel food coloring (AmeriColor makes good quality gels)
You’ll also need a candy thermometer.
1. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine the water, corn syrup and granulated sugar. Place the pan over medium-high heat, and stir until the sugar dissolves. Bring the mixture to a boil. As soon as mixture comes to a boil, stop stirring and brush down the sides with a wet pastry brush to prevent sugar crystals from forming. Insert a candy thermometer.
3. Continue to cook the candy without stirring until it reads exactly 285 degrees F (140 degrees C) on the thermometer. Do not overcook it, or it will start to take on a caramel color and your candy might turn green! Once the temperature hits 285, take the pan off the heat and let it sit just until bubbles stop breaking on the surface. Add the flavoring of choice and a drop of food coloring. Stir everything together.
4. Pour the candy onto the prepped baking sheet and tilt it so that it runs into a thin layer. Let it set completely at room temperature.
5. Once candy is set, break it into small pieces by hand.
For the full “crystal meth” experience, place the candy pieces in medium zip-top bags and crush them lightly with a rolling pin. Candy needs to be stored in airtight containers.