A man suffered second-degree burns and smoke inhalation in an early morning fire just west of downtown Monday.
At 3:34 a.m., firefighters were called to the Julian Apartments at 5 Julian Ave., where there was a fire in a fourth floor apartment, said Ottawa Fire District Chief Lyle Fraser.
A dozen trucks and around 50 firefighters responded to the scene.
Paramedics treated one man for second-degree burns to the back of his arms and smoke inhalation. He was taken to Ottawa Civic Hospital where he was in stable condition, said Ottawa paramedic team leader Jean Hamel.
Paramedics also rescued a cat from the apartment building and treated it for smoke inhalation.
“We put a little child mask on him and gave him oxygen at the scene,” said Hamel. “He was shaken up. We took him to the Ottawa Veterinary Hospital.”
More than 30 residents were displaced while firefighters fought the blaze. The paramedics brought their bus to shelter the residents, said Hamel.
The fire was out by 3:58 a.m. and it was contained to the unit of origin.
The initial damage was estimated at $100,000 to the building and $25,000 to the contents.