'Miracle' and loss all in one evening - Metro US

‘Miracle’ and loss all in one evening

Joanne Mackie endured a swing of emotions that few can relate to Monday night.

The 37-year-old was in the delivery room for the birth of her second grandchild at 7:52 p.m. About two hours later a text message said the mobile home Mackie had lived in last summer was on fire near Stewiacke.

“You are on such a high from that miracle itself, then seeing this baby that’s perfect in every way. We were still on that high when we got the text and then you crash right down to the lowest,” Mackie said.

“If I had a choice whether to lose all my stuff or have a healthy little grandchild, I’d lose my stuff in a heartbeat. I wouldn’t even give a second thought to it.”

About 25 firefighters from Stewiacke, Brookfield, Shubenacadie, Indian Brook and Milford responded to the fire, which was reported around 10:15 p.m. by a passing motorist.

Stewiacke fire chief John Frizzell said the structure was fully involved when the first members arrived. The site contained two mobile homes and a shed. The fire started in one of the mobile homes and spread to the other structures.

No one was living in the mobile homes at the time of the fire and there was no power to the structure.

Mackie’s cousin owns the homes and allowed her to stay there. Mackie lived in the mobile home from May to October of 2008. She couch-surfed for the winter and was preparing to move back into the mobile home for the summer.

More from our Sister Sites