Mystery plane flying over Manhattan was Trump evacuation drill: Report - Metro US

Mystery plane flying over Manhattan was Trump evacuation drill: Report


A low-flying military airplane and two helicopters last week gave New Yorkers a post-9/11 fright, but it was only a President-elect Donald Trump “emergency relocation” exercise, according to a news report.

A C-130 aircraft and two HH-60 Pave Hawk helicopters flew in circles in a no-fly zone over Manhattan on Dec. 13 without any warning.

The FAA reportedly didn’t have much to say at the time calling the military plane part of “authorized flights… in coordination with air traffic control,” but an ABC correspondent tweeted that the C-130 was just completing “standard military training,” per his source.

RELATED: Why was a military plane circling Manhattan?

The flyovers were part of an “emergency relocation drill,” during which the military scouted locations — mainly in Central Park —where a helicopter could land in case Trump needs to be evacuated from his home in Trump Tower, DNAinfo reported.

“[The military] were making plans how to remove him, mapping plans and strategizing,” a source told the website.

At the time, the NYPD said it didn’t know anything about the aircrafts, but has since said it was given short notice and was not told how big the plane would be.

“Usually when there is a flyover, we get something through our operations unit. It’s sent out to everybody,” NYPD Commissioner James O’Neillsaid last Wednesday, according to DNAinfo.

“That notification is supposed to go out through OEM [the Office of Emergency Management], so I know OEM is working with the military to make sure the proper notifications are made. [OEM Commissioner] Joe Esposito is going to have to make sure he stays in contact with the military for future notifications.”

“The public should know about that. What’s transpired in New York City over the last 15 years, we need to know that,” he added.

The NYPD referred Metro to the U.S. Secret Service for any information. The Secret Service did not immediately respond to calls made by Metro.

More from our Sister Sites