NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton fumed to reporters over reports that the city agreed to a $5,000 settlement with a man who allegedly threatened cops with a machete.
Ruhim Ullah, 24, sued the city for $3 million after he was shot once in his leg by a cop in 2010 while wielding the blade. Ullah pleaded guilty to incident, yet the New York Post reported Thursday that city attorneys agreed to the payout.
"Our officers did absolutely nothing wrong and it’s outrageous that … the city Law Department is continuing to not support the men and women of this department as they go about their duties and do those duties," Bratton told reporters at an unrelated event.
"It’s outrageous," the top cop added, and said that he would meet with Mayor Bill de Blasio to discuss the report later that day.
"Our cops work very hard trying to keep this city safe, and if they're not going to be backed up by the city law office, we need to do something about that," Bratton said.
Neither de Blasio's office nor the Law Department responded to Metro for comment.
A Patrolmen's Benevolent Association spokesman accused the city of settling the suit to save money on court costs, the Associated Press reported.
The PBA previously lambasted the city for its $40 million settlement with five men wrongfully convicted in the infamous Central Park jogger case.
Last summer, the New York City Comptroller's office found 9,500 claims filed against the NYPD in 2013 alone that cost the city $137.2 million in settlements.
Tensions between cops and City Hall have eased since protests calling for police reform after the alleged chokehold death of Staten Island man Eric Garner dissipated, as well as after the murders of two cops in Brooklyn in December.
The Garner family announced late last year that they planned to sue the NYPD and the city for $75 million in a wrongful death suit. A grand jury declined to indict Garner’s arresting officer.