A Bronx crime syndicate known as the Lyman Place Gang was indicted Thursday after a yearlong investigation by the NYPD.
The Bronx District Attorney’s office said 11 of the group's members had been arrested in an overnight raid and were being charged with crimes including murder, attempted murder, manslaughter, criminal possession of a weapon and hindering prosecution.
Members of the Lyman Place Gang range in age from 16 to 22 and gave each other nicknames including "Shaba," "Titties" and "Maybach."
- PHOTOS: Filipino devotees nailed to crosses to re-enact crucifixion4 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Memorial spotlights the man behind Nipsey Hussle rap persona14 Pictures
Specific incidents addressed in the DA's report include an aimless shooting in a rival gang's territory and two attempted murders, one outside a bodega and another outside a Bronx public school.
The murder charges go back to an October 19, 2013 incident, when alleged gang member Sebastian Benjamin, known as Shaba, allegedly shot innocent bystander Pablo Pagan when he and members of the gang went to Vyse Avenue for the sole purpose firing into a rival gang’s “enemy territory,” with no specific intended target.
Attempted murder charges stem from two incidents. In one, on June 15th, 2011, accused shooter Nathaniel Bellamy, a.k.a. Black Nasty, targeted rival Doe Avenue Gang member Charles Ryan, who was on the phone arguing with his girlfriend when Bellamy approached, withdrew a 9mm pistol from a black plastic bodega bag, and shot Ryan in the legs, the D.A.’s office said.
The other attempted murder occurred shortly before 1 p.m. on November 21, 2013, when Terrell Nimmons, a.k.a. Ice-T Lyman, allegedly drew a gun and fired at rival gang member Jaquan Guzman, missing his target and hitting a fence on the grounds of P.S. 132. No school children were hit, the D.A. said.
The NYPD tracked the gang members' communication on Facebook, and the D.A.’s office said they used Facebook to plan, execute and clean up after their crimes.
“The issue of gun violence remains an issue for the citizens of the Bronx," said District Attorney Robert T. Johnson. "Our office will do everything in its power to put a stop to the people and gangs that threaten our good people and cause countless citizens to senselessly lose their lives.”