Authorities have arrested a Bronx man on charges that he supported and tried to join ISIS.
Sajmir Alimehmeti, 22, was taken into custody early on Tuesday and charged with providing material support to a terrorist organization, NBC4 reported. He was alleged to have helped an undercover agent whom he thought wanted to fight with ISIS by agreeing to buy supplies and showing the agent how to use encryption technology.
- PHOTOS: New art and old relics at Mickey Mouse's NYC gallery 25 Pictures
- PHOTOS: See Yes on 3 supporters react to historic transgender rights Question 3 win 11 Pictures
- PHOTOS: A look back at Queen performing in the 1970s and 1980s 22 Pictures
- All of these celebrities have had their nudes leaked 35 Pictures
- PHOTOS: A look at Idris Elba's style through the years 20 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Heidi Klum's annual Halloween party and other amazing celebrity costumes 17 Pictures
- These are the spookiest cities per capita in the U.S. 5 Pictures
- Food Network star talks pumpkin carving 1 Pictures
- Who is Alexander Edwards, Amber Rose's new boyfriend? 9 Pictures
- Is Cardi B pregnant again? This tweet has people guessing 6 Pictures
- Natural Museum's best wildlife photos of the year 5 Pictures
After meeting the undercover agent that Alimehmeti believed to be an ISIS sympathizer, he invited the agent to his apartment where the duo watched decapitation videos that Alimehmeti said served as motivation while he was exercising, the New York Daily News reported.
Besides keeping an ISIS flag in his Norwood apartment, sources told NBC4 that Alimehmeti also allegedly purchased weapons, handcuffs and masks.
On two occasions, Alimehmeti attempted to travel to the Middle East but was stopped both times by British authorities who found camouflage clothing, nunchucks and pro-ISIS photos on his cellphone and laptop, the Daily News stated. British authorities alerted the FBI of their findings when Alimehmeti was sent back to the U.S.
Alimehmeti was scheduled to appear in federal court in Manhattan on Tuesday, according toABC7.