Holiday shoppers evacuated due to sickening smell
Officials said that there was nothing to indicate that the fumes were related to a gas leak.
Fourteen shoppers were evacuated from a Secaucus Kohl’s due to sickening fumes late Sunday night.
Authorities are still working to determine the cause of the smell reported at a Kohl’s department store that led to an evacuation and to shoppers experiencing difficulty breathing, ABC has reported.
Police received a call of a chemical smell at the Kohl’s located at 3 Mill Creek Dr. around 9 p.m., Pix11 added in a related article, stating that the building was evacuated as a precaution.
Almost a dozen customers were examined in the parking lot, ABC stated. It was unknown whether any customers required being taken to the hospital.
Local fire, police and hazmat authorities were on the scene attempting to determine the smell’s source, Pix11 reported.
Officials said that there was nothing to indicate that the fumes were related to a gas leak, but the investigation is continuing, according to ABC.
Kohl’s locations will be open 24 hours a day until Christmas, Pix11 added.