A fire in a 33-story residential building belonging to Mt. Sinai Hospital left 24 people injured on Thursday night, officials said.
In an update Friday morning tweet, the FDNY said the fire was accidental and caused by "careless use of an open flame/candle." The FDNY added that the apartment where the fire had sparked has a smoke alarm but it was "not operational."
The blaze began around 5 p.m. in an apartment on the third floor at 515 W. 59th St., near 10th Avenue.
Officials said the apartment’s windows were open, causing heavy winds to send smoke out into the hallway.
Among those injured was a 7-year-old girl who was in cardiac arrest on the 21st floor. She was taken to street level, where she was revived and in good condition.
Four firefighters were also injured, including one who sustained serious burns, the FDNY said. Six other other were listed in serious condition, officials said.
A police helicopter monitored the safety of nine people who had fled to the building's roof, and who later made it out of the building safely.
Per #FDNY Fire Marshals: Cause of yesterday's 4-alarm fire at 515 W 59 St Manhattan was accidental, careless use of an open flame/candle— FDNY (@FDNY) December 23, 2016
@FDNY are welcome mats illegal? in fdny rules?— @Real Lisa Legggs (@LisaBee827) December 23, 2016