The MTA presented the details of their finalized 2016-2019 budget in a board meeting on Monday —about a month after reachinga funding agreement to finance the $29 billion capital plan that dragged on for months, and slashed $1 billion from the second phase of the Second Avenue subway.
The budget is expected to provide $242 million for maintaining the system and adding new services over the next four years, according to the agency.
Some investments from 2016 to 2019 include $38 million in additional subway and bus service, $13 million for Select Bus Service and $35 million for the Second Avenue subway.
- Celebrity deaths 2018: All the stars we lost too soon 46 Pictures
- Photos: Starbucks Reserve Roastery NYC reconnects you with your coffee 48 Pictures
RELATED: MTA shows off bus technology that could keep pedestrians and riders safer
The MTA previously said the agency plans to spend nearly $6 million on adding 34 more round-trips on 12 subway lines in the city starting in June 2016.
"It's good news for riders that the MTA will have more money than expected. The challenge here is for the MTA to budget in a way that addresses some of the core complaints of riders, including crowding, delays and unreliable service. We also need our elected leaders to follow through on promises and fund the MTA's five-year capital program, or all these gains can just as easily be lost," said John Raskin, Executive Director of the Riders Alliance, told Metro in an email.
RELATED: More subway trains coming in 2016
The MTA will vote to finalize the plan and budget in December.