President Donald Trump and his administration are engaging in an “anti-women agenda,” says New York City’s chapter of the National Organization for Women in announcing a campaign to fight for continued funding of the Violence Against Women Act.
Local NOW leaders launched the Take Rape Seriously NOW Campaign during a news conference Monday near the Fearless Girl statue in the Financial District.
“President Trump's team - unapologetic for his ‘locker room’ talk and humiliating attacks on women - has already alluded to defunding the program's 25 VAWA state programs in a recent budget blueprint from the Heritage Foundation,” NOW-NY said in a statement.
The campaign plans to call on the state’s congressional delegation to oppose cuts to the VAWA as well as any legislation or budget cuts that would jeopardize the rights of women.
- PHOTOS: New art and old relics at Mickey Mouse's NYC gallery 25 Pictures
- PHOTOS: See Yes on 3 supporters react to historic transgender rights Question 3 win 11 Pictures
The state received $7.7 million last year in VAWA grants to support survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault through programs administered by nonprofit organizations, hospitals and law enforcement agencies, NOW leaders said.
“VAWA has transformed the way government responds to domestic and sexual violence and has served as a model around the world,” they said in a statement.