Mayor de Blasio admitted on Sunday that Queens had not yet received adequate help from the city to dig out from the snow left piled by Winter Storm Jonas.
Many neighborhoods in Queens, which received up to 34 inches of snow, the most in New York City, were still largely impassable due to the lingering accumulation left by this weekend’s blizzard, the New York Post reported. De Blasio said equipment and workers were being sent from other boroughs to help.
- Labrador retriever fetches top U.S. dog breed honor for record 28th year7 Pictures
- Oscars 2019: Red carpet looks and full list of winners36 Pictures
“The streets I saw in Sunnyside, Woodside, I’m not going to be happy this morning. I’m not going to be satisfied this morning. But I can tell you this much: Give us the rest of this day and we’re going to make a very, very big impact on those neighborhoods,” the mayor was quoted by NBC.
Some Queens officials were skeptical about the mayor’s decision to open all New York City public schools on Monday, the Post added.
“Too many streets in Queens . . . remain unplowed and driving conditions are still very dangerous,” City Council member Eric Ulrich said in a statement quoted by the Post. “That is why I am deeply disappointed in the mayor’s decision to keep all New York City public schools open tomorrow.”
On social media, Queens residents started the hashtag #PlowQueens as residents posted more and more photos of streets covered in piles of snow, NBC reported.
Jonas brought a record-setting snowfall to New York as the city recorded 26.8 inches on Saturday, beating the 24.1-inch one-day record previously set on Feb. 12, 2006, according to the Post.