Giants head coach Tom Coughlin waved to fans while exiting the field Sunday afternoon at MetLife Stadium, following a 35-30 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles and a season in which New York went just 6-10. The wave could very well have been a wave goodbye.
"You've got your questions prepared for what direction I'm going to go," Coughlin said following Sunday's game. "I'm not going to answer anything about that. The season just ended. There'll be a time for that. We will get into that discussion."
Earlier Sunday, FOX Sports' Jay Glazer reported that Coughlin is set to "ride off into the sunset."
- 7 things to know about Miss Universe 2018 Catriona Gray 10 Pictures
- Celebrity deaths 2018: All the stars we lost too soon 46 Pictures
The Giants would obviously like to solve the situation quickly, as teams - like the aforementioned Eagles, are already searching for their new head coach.
Top candidates to replace Coughlin include:
1. Ben McAdoo, current Giants offensive coordinator
2. Josh McDaniels, current Patriots offensive coordinator
3. Hue Jackson, current Bengals offensive coordinator
4. Sean Payton, current Saints head coach (a trade would have to be worked out)
5. Sean McDermott, current Panthers defensive coordinator
6. Adam Gase, current Bears offensive coordinator
7. Matt Patricia, current Patriots defensive coordinator
8. Mike Smith, former Falcons head coach
9. Doug Marrone, former Bills head coach
10. Steve Spagnuolo, current Giants defensive coordinator