Taariq Stephens

Screenshot/ handout

A 24-year-old man suspected in using a sub machine gun to fatally shoot a Brooklyn teen as she babysat her young cousin, has turned himself into authorities and is scheduled to appear in court Friday.


Taariq Stephens — who surrendered Thursday night — is facing charges of murder and criminal possession of a weapon in connection to the killing of 16-year-old Shemel Mercurius earlier this week.


RELATED:Teen killed, 13 hurt in NYC gunfire spree


Mercurius was found on May 31 semi-conscious with multiple gunshot wounds to her body inside the Brooklyn Avenue apartment she shared with her relatives.


The teen had been babysitting her 3-year-old cousin during the time of the incident, according to reports, and the toddler witnessed the shooting.


According to CBS2 New York, Stephens surrendered to authorities not long after the NYPD had identified him in the shooting and also released surveillance video showing him outside the Brooklyn apartment.

The surveillance video allegedly shows Stephens on the elevator of the building and then he is seen outside the door of the apartment where the shooting took place, CBS2 reported.

Police added that Stephens — who has six prior arrests — used a Kel-Tec submachine gun during the incident, the New York Daily News reported.

“He pulls out the stock of the gun before he shoots this young lady,” said NYPD Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce, according to the Daily News. “He racks three times, leaving three full rounds outside on the hallway.”

RELATED:Live Nation cancels 6 shows after T.I. concert shooting

One of the shots reportedly went through the teen’s arm and into her chest — later causing her death at a local hospital.

According to the Daily News, after being shot Mercurius was able to give authorities her shooter’s first name.

Although initial reports said authorities were looking for Mercurius’ boyfriend, investigators now say they do not believe Stephens and the teen were dating but their relationship is still not clear.