The B-well Sushi and Cafe
6184 Quinpool Rd., Halifax
Brunch & drinks for two: $30
Signature Dish: Dragon Roll
Signature Drink: Japanese Tea
The name intrigues, so we drop by B-well for lunch. There is lots of natural light and the decor is bright and cheery. One young woman is curled up in an armchair, sipping tea and reading a novel. It’s that kind of place.
The menu features noodles and rolls and a small selection of nigiri and sashimi. The $11.95 lunch special offers a comforting bowl of miso soup, garden salad, tea or coffee and a choice of two kinds of rolls. I have the California Roll and this day’s special, Crispy Spicy Tuna, which proves to be my favourite.
The Dragon Roll ($8.50) sounds tempting — two giant prawn tempura and green lettuce wrapped in avocado with soy sauce. The eight pieces arrive looking suitably dramatic, but the prawns don’t taste fresh.
My pal has a yummy bowl of Tempura Udon Noodles ($8.50) in a spicy broth with shrimp and vegetable tempura. It’s large and satisfying.
While the food could be improved, our server is charming and our visit leaves us feeling well.
A Taste of Piedmont with Vitaliano Tirrito, takes places this Monday at 6:30 p.m. Onyx, 5680 Spring Garden Rd. Tickets got for $80 plus tax per person for a three-course menu with six wines including Fontanafredda Barolo Serralunga D’Alba. To book: email firstname.lastname@example.org
Wine, Dinner and Music
An evening of fine wine, dinner and symphony, tonight at Saege Restaurant, 5883 Spring Garden Rd. Dinner starts at 5:30 p.m. Tickets cost $70 plus tax per person, which includes a three-course menu, two glasses of Trius wine, gratuities and symphony ticket. To book: email email@example.com.
Tempest claims Best of Show
Wolfville’s Tempest Restaurant won Best of Show at Savour. Chef Michael Howell wowed diners with Emperor’s BBQ Duck, braised and shredded duck in a black bean bbq sauce on scallion pancake with shallots and cilantro puree.
Latest From ...
- NYPD organized 'large scale' Black Lives Matter surveillance and kept activist photos year...Pets, owners flock to Madrid church for blessing of animalsEntertainment
- Movie based on Boston skiing icon Doug Coombs in developmentWhy was Chris Hansen, former host of To Catch a Predator arrested?Lifestyle
- Apple's Live Listen feature can let you hear conversations from a distanceHow your slow cooker saves you moneySports
- Yankees MLB Trade proposal: Miguel Andujar, Corey Kluber, Manny MachadoNBA Trade Rumors Bradley Beal Pacers Trail Blazers Jazz Pistons
- NYPD organized 'large scale' Black Lives Matter surveillance and kept activist photos year...Pets, owners flock to Madrid church for blessing of animals773 million email accounts exposed in massive 'Collection #1' breachMovie based on Boston skiing icon Doug Coombs in developmentWhy was Chris Hansen, former host of To Catch a Predator arrested?Ben Barnes explains The Punisher season 2's approach to JigsawApple's Live Listen feature can let you hear conversations from a distanceHow your slow cooker saves you moneyIs Costco open on New Year's Day?