Easy-going and easy to live in, Don Mills lives life at its own pace.
The north Toronto residential neighbourhood is a self-contained entity of schools, shops, parks and quiet residential streets that offer a simple, effective liveability.
The area claims to be one of the first modern planned communities in North America, and that legacy is clearly visible in the carefully sequestered quadrants, strategically placed amenities like schools, churches and parks and planned combination of high- and low-density residential offerings. Don Mills has always enjoyed a good reputation for its numerous parks and hidden-away feel and condo developers have finally taken notice as the area has seen an impressive surge in new condominium construction recently.
Don Mills’ own symmetry is mirrored by The Donway, the famous circular street that rings the main intersection at Don Mills Rd and Lawrence Ave. and serves as a sprouting point for many of the area’s residential streets.
A newly redesigned outdoor luxury shopping mall (Shops at Don Mills, 1090 Don Mills Rd.) — opened last Spring — has breathed new life into the area’s shopping and dining, while nearby amenities like the Donalda Golf and Country Club and the Ontario Science Centre make the area a destination from across the city.
A culturally diverse area, Don Mills’ roughly 26,000 residents hail almost equally from North America, Europe and Asia, and the region is known for its mid- to higher-income residents, average $137,063 per family.
If you love parks Don Mills does not disappoint with several dozen medium and large-sized parks.
Whether you just want a rewarding home away from downtown or an ideal place to raise a family, Don Mills offers plenty and asks for little.
• Real estate: $528,134
• Rent: $1,114
• Getting around: Buses on Lawrence and Don Mills, subway access at Don Mills Station at Sheppard Ave.
• 1: Donalda Golf + Country Club
• 2: Bond Park
• 3: Norman Ingram school, 50 Duncairn Rd.
• 4: St. Bonaventure school, 1340 Leslie St.
• 5: Sunnybrook Park
• 6: North York Public Library
• 7: Shops at Don Mills (SW corner of Don Mills and Lawrence)
• 8: Don Mills Civitan Arena (1030 Don Mills Rd.)
• 9: Don Mills CI & MS
• 10: Greenland school, 15 Greeenland Rd.
• 11: Red Hot Condos 1 & 2, Don Mills and Greenbelt
• 12: The Rosewood condo, 133 Wynford Dr.
• 13: Accolade condo, 181 Wynford.
• 14: Flemington Park Golf Club
• 15: Ontario Science Centre (770 Don Mills Rd.)
• 16: The Scenic on Eglinton
- PHOTOS: What's Brewing in Steamy Hallows, the Harry Potter-Inspired Cafe19 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Frida Kahlo at the Brooklyn Museum doesn't hold back23 Pictures