Nothing is more calming — and more invigorating — than being close to water. And eastern Ontario delivers.
The 1000 Islands Parkway is a pretty drive, connecting scenic riverbank communities from Kingston to Cornwall. Enjoy a fall boat cruise (they generally operate until the end of October).
Or, cycle the 37-kilomtre 1000 Islands bike path — you’ll never be far from water!
Walking the main drags of any of the communities along the parkway could fill an afternoon.
Kingston, for example, boasts an eight kilometre waterfront pathway!
The Land O’Lakes region, stretching north from the Bay of Quinte, has a reported 5,000 lakes and countless rivers.
Take a scenic drive without a planned destination, or have a look at lol.on.ca for some great ideas.
For example, there are public beaches in Sharbot Lake, Sydenham, Long Lake and Arden!
A few other great suggestions: In Campbellford, hike beside the canal and over the Ranney Gorge Suspension Bridge in Ferris Provincial Park.
Visit the Egan Chute, a beautiful waterfall located at the end of an old forest road in Egan Chute Provincial Park, east of Bancroft. The falls are a 10-12 minute walk in.
Of course, it`s important to be careful and watch children closely around all waterways.
Sand beaches are beautiful in the fall too, for long walks with family and friends. Here are four to explore.
1. Sandbanks Provincial Park in Prince Edward County has spectacular white sand beaches including Outlet Beach. (Watch for signs for Lakeshore Lodge in the park.
The resort lodge actually burned down years ago but you can still see parts of its old dance floor. The area is now semi-wild with lots of shade trees. Walk along the high shoreline or the beach below.)
2. North Beach Provincial Park, west of Wellington in Prince Edward County, is a simple scenic 1.2 kilometre span of sand.
3. Presqu’ile Provincial Park in Brighton is a beautiful white sand beach. There’s a new boardwalk over a marsh in the park too.
4. Silver Lake near Perth is a long, narrow trough of water carved out by glaciers.
While its long sandy beach is the big attraction, a boardwalk through a marsh at the eastern end of the lake is another popular place to visit.
- Labrador retriever fetches top U.S. dog breed honor for record 28th year7 Pictures
- Oscars 2019: Red carpet looks and full list of winners36 Pictures