The folks behind the Eat This, Not That! book series say these indulgent treats are a better choice for a holiday party nibble than the stuffed mushrooms you often encounter. And they are truly delicious.
Start to finish: 30 minutes
- 8 Medjool dates
- 8 almonds
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) crumbled blue cheese
- 4 strips bacon, halved crosswise
- Ground black pepper, to taste
1. Heat oven to 220 C (425 F).
2. Using a sharp paring knife, make a slit across the length of each date so that the pocket in the fruit is exposed. Remove the pit inside the date and replace it with an almond.
3. Spoon about 7 ml (1/2 tbsp) of the blue cheese into the pocket over and around the almond in each date. The dates should be tightly stuffed, but not overflowing with cheese. Place each date at the bottom of a bacon strip half and roll up as tightly as possible. Secure with a toothpick.
4. Place dates on a non-stick baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes or until the bacon has rendered fat and is brown and crispy. Top each with a bit of black pepper and serve.
Nutrition information per serving (values are rounded to the nearest whole number): 280 calories; 125 calories from fat (45 per cent of total calories); 14 g fat (5 g saturated; 0 g trans fats); 22 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrate; 6 g protein; 4 g fibre; 307 mg sodium.