Ottawa Police Service charged a city man yesterday in connection with a sexual assault reported late last month.
The public came forward with tips after police released a video image and put out a call for assistance in identifying a suspect who allegedly picked up a 34-year-old woman in a taxi in the ByWard Market on June 23 and later allegedly sexually assaulted her.
“There were many factors contributing to the identification,” said Ottawa Police Constable Isabelle Lemieux.
The public’s help was useful in this investigation, and in many investigations, Lemieux said. She said the suspect was driving a taxi the evening of the incident, but couldn’t confirm that he was an official cab driver.
- All of these celebrities have had their nudes leaked 35 Pictures
- Here's what it's like to fish for your dinner at Zauo NYC (photos) 21 Pictures
- PHOTOS: The best cosplay of NYCC 2018, Day 3 44 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Looking back at Heidi Klum's best Halloween costumes 19 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Nightmare Machine, the haunted house for millennials 14 Pictures
- American Music Awards 2018: Red carpet looks, list of winners 23 Pictures
- What you need to know about MTV's 'How Far Is Tattoo Far?' 9 Pictures
- Who is Alexander Edwards, Amber Rose's new boyfriend? 9 Pictures
- Are Blac Chyna and Rob Kardashian getting back together? 8 Pictures
- Anne Frank's Diary now comes as a graphic novel 3 Pictures
- Reimagine End of Life celebrates all things death and dying 5 Pictures
Coventry Connections owner Hanif Patni told media the company managed to isolate the identity of the driver after it was approached by police. The driver was suspended by the company and the city pending the completion of criminal proceedings.
Hassan Majli, 34, of Ottawa was arrested Tuesday night and was charged with one count of sexual assault. He appeared in court yesterday. The court issued a publication ban on the case.