Fresh basil and arugula finish this pizza to enjoy a hit of peppery sweet flavour. Heating the pan ahead of time helps give you a crisp crust. Recipe courtesy of Anna Olson and www.foodnetwork.ca.
Arugula and Basil Pizza
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) tepid water (about 105 F/40 C)
- 2 1/4 tsp) instant dry yeast
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) spelt flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 8 oz (250 g) cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jar (14 oz/398 mL) marinated artichokes
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated lemon rind
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) basil pesto
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) sour cream
- Cornmeal for sprinkling
- 12 slices prosciutto
- 2 oz (60 g) shaved Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups (500 mL) lightly packed baby arugula leaves
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) lightly packed fresh basil leaves
1. In large bowl, stir water and yeast together, add all purpose and spelt flours, salt and oil until ragged firm dough comes together. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 1 minute or until dough feels elastic and smooth. Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 30 minutes.
2. Toppings: Meanwhile, in large skillet heat oil over medium heat; cook mushrooms and garlic for 5 minutes or until softened. Add artichokes and lemon rind and cook, stirring for about 2 minutes or until warmed through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. In a small bowl, stir pesto and sour cream together.
4. Place a baking tray or pizza stone in oven and preheat to 500 F (260 C).
5. Divide pizza dough into 2 discs. On lightly floured surface, roll out each piece to about 9 inches (23 cm) across. Remove heating pan or stone from oven and sprinkle lightly with cornmeal. Place rolled crust on pan or stone and spread a thin layer of the pesto mixture all over. Arrange prosciutto on top and spoon mushroom filling over top and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until edges are golden.
6. Sprinkle pizzas with Parmesan and top with basil and arugula immediately before serving.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Tip: Use a vegetable peeler to shave the Parmesan from a wedge over the pizza.