Bad wiring blamed for South Street fire

Faulty wiring is  blamed for Tuesday’s fire that ravaged a historic building on South Street in Halifax.

Faulty wiring is blamed for Tuesday’s fire that ravaged a historic building on South Street in Halifax.

Halifax Regional Fire spokesman Capt. Dave Meldrum said Thursday investigators pinpointed the ignition source to wiring behind a wall inside a closet on the first floor of a unit at 5,167 South Street.

He also said the fire was “accidental in nature.”

Thirty people have been left homeless from the fire, and it could be weeks before they can return to their apartments.

The tenants, who lived in 18 different units inside or adjacent to the building, have all found temporary places to stay with friends or relatives.

Three apartments were completely destroyed in the fire, with the others requiring extensive repair work. Four restaurants were also forced to close their doors.

 
 
Latest From ...
Most Popular From ...