• 4 tbsp (60 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 red onion, finely chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 1 can (398 ml) diced tomatoes
• 2 tbsp (10 ml) sundried tomato paste
• ½ cup (125 ml) dry red wine
• 1 bay leaf
• 2 tbsp (25 ml) chopped parsley
• Pepper to taste
• 3 small eggplants, cut into ½-in. (1-cm) slices
• 3 zucchinis, thinly sliced
• ½ tsp (2 ml) ground cumin
• 14 oz (400 g) plain low-fat yogurt
• 2 eggs, beaten
• 2 tbsp (25 ml) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Heat 1½ tbsp (20 ml) oil in pot, add onion and cook about 8 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and cook for further minute, stirring. Stir in diced tomatoes with their juice, tomato paste, wine and bay leaf. Cover and simmer gently 10 minutes.
2. Uncover pot and let sauce bubble 10 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaf. Stir in parsley and pepper.
3. While sauce is simmering, preheat broiler. Lightly brush eggplant and zucchini slices with remaining 2½ tbsp (30 ml) oil. Cook under broiler, in batches, 3–4 minutes per side or until browned and very tender.
4. Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). Stir cumin into half the yogurt. Arrange one-third of eggplant slices, in one layer, in 2½-qt (2.5-l) ovenproof dish. Spoon over half the tomato sauce. Arrange half of zucchini slices on top, in one layer, then drizzle with half the cumin-flavoured yogurt. Repeat layers, then finish with layer of remaining eggplant slices.
5. Mix remaining half of yogurt with beaten eggs and half the Parmesan cheese. Spoon yogurt mixture over top layer of eggplant, spreading with back of spoon to cover evenly. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
6. Bake 40–45 minutes or until top is lightly browned and set and sauce is bubbling. Serve hot, in baking dish.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca
Baked Eggplant with Yogurt