Prepare and chill the mushroom and brie topping to have on hand for spur of the moment entertaining. Baking and serving on oven-proof platter keeps the cheese warm while eating.
Baked Mushroom Topped Brie
- PHOTOS: A look back at Queen performing in the 1970s and 1980s 22 Pictures
- All of these celebrities have had their nudes leaked 35 Pictures
- ½ lb (250 g) fresh sliced mushrooms (white or crimini)
- ½ cup (125 ml) coarsely chopped onions
- ¼ cup (50 ml) finely chopped walnuts
- 1 large clove garlic, sliced
- ½ tsp (2 ml) each dried thyme, rosemary and pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1 (200g) wheel cold Brie cheese
- 2 tbsp (25 ml) finely minced fresh parsley or chives (optional)
- Finely chop mushrooms, onions, walnuts and garlic, thyme, rosemary and pepper in food processor.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat; cook and stir mushroom mixture for 5-7 minutes or until all liquid has evaporated. Stir in vinegar and cook 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature; cover and chill.
- At serving time slice the wheel of Brie in half horizontally and place cut side up on oven-proof serving plate or baking pan. Spoon the topping evenly on cut surfaces of Brie. Bake in 350F/180C oven for about 8-10 minutes or until cheese is beginning to melt. Sprinkle parsley or chives on top to garnish if desired. Serve with thinly sliced whole wheat baguette or plain crackers. Makes 12.
Mushroom, Chicken and Leek Pot Pie
- 1 lb (500 g) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp (25 ml) vegetable oil, divided
- 2 large leeks, white part only, sliced
- 1 lb (500g) sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) dried tarragon
- 2 tbsp (25 ml) all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) chicken stock
- ½ tsp (2 ml) salt
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) pepper
- 1 9”/22cm deep dish frozen pie shell, thawed
- Cut chicken into 3/4-inch (2 cm) cubes. In large non-stick saucepan or deep skillet, heat 1 tbsp (15 ml) of the oil over medium-high heat. Cook chicken until lightly browned but still pink inside, about 3-4 minutes. Spoon into 6 cup (1.5 l) baking dish or deep pie plate.
- Reduce heat to medium and add remaining oil to same pan. Sauté leeks, mushroom and tarragon for 2-3 minutes; cover and cook about 3 minutes or until vegetables are softened. Sprinkle in flour and stir to blend. Gradually stir in chicken stock, salt and pepper. Bring to boil and stir until thickened. Spoon mixture over chicken. Invert thawed pie shell over casserole pressing pastry edge to baking dish and crimp or flute the edges. Cut 3-4 slits in pastry. Bake in 425°F (220°C) oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Makes 4.