• 16 jumbo pasta shells (half 340 g pkg)
• 2 tbsp (25 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 each onion and sweet green pepper, finely diced
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 lb (500 g) mild Italian sausage, casings removed
• 1 egg
• 1/4 cup (50 ml) chopped fresh parsley
• 2 cups (500 ml) bottled strained tomatoes
• 1 tsp (5 ml) dried oregano
• Pinch salt
• 3/4 cup (175 ml) shredded mozzarella cheese
• 1/4 cup (50 ml) grated Parmesan cheese
In large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until tender but firm, about 14 minutes. Drain.
Meanwhile, in skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion, green pepper and garlic until softened, about 6 minutes. Transfer to bowl; stir in sausage, egg and parsley. Place heaping 1 tbsp (15 mL) in each of the shells. Arrange in greased 8-inch (2 L) square glass baking dish.
In bowl, stir together tomatoes, oregano and salt; spoon over stuffed shells. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses; cover and bake in 425°F (220°C) oven for 20 minutes.
Uncover and bake until cheese is golden and instant-read digital thermometer inserted into centre of shell registers 160°F (71°C), about 10 minutes.
For more Tested-Till-Perfect recipes, visit canadianliving.com