- 1 lb (500 g) boneless beef round steak, trimmed
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) each salt and black pepper
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 tbsp (25 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14 oz/398 ml) low-sodium tomatoes, undrained and cut up
- 2 stalks celery, sliced 1/2 in. (1-cm) thick
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into wedges
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 ml) dried oregano leaves
1. Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). Sprinkle steak on both sides with salt and pepper. Cut steak into 4 pieces. Pound both sides of pieces until pieces are 1/2 inch thick (page 116).
2. Coat 12-inch (30-cm) skillet with cooking spray. Heat skillet over moderately high heat. Add steak pieces and cook until browned, 3 minutes per side. Transfer to 13" x 9" x 2" (33 cm x 23 cm x 5 cm) baking dish.
3. Stir flour into skillet drippings. Stir in tomatoes, celery, onion, corn and oregano. Bring to boil over moderate heat and boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Pour over meat in baking dish.
4. Cover and bake until meat is tender, 1 1/4 hours. Serve meat and tomato mixture with mashed potatoes or hot cooked noodles.
For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to rd.ca or check out Key Ingredients in this month’s Reader's Digest, on newsstands now!