2 slices dry bread
1/2 cup (125 ml) milk
2 cans (4 oz/120 g) fresh crab meat
1/2 lb (250 g) peeled, cooked shrimp
2 large eggs
2 tsp (10 ml) Dijon mustard
1 tbsp (15 ml) Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup (125 ml) ground almonds
A large pinch of cayenne pepper
1 tbsp (15 ml) mayonnaise
A handful of fresh parsley
1/3 cup (75 ml) all-purpose ?our
1 1/2 cups (375 ml) dried breadcrumbs
Canola oil for frying
1. Soak both slices of bread in milk 5 minutes. Flake crab meat, put into a bowl, chop shrimp and add to the crab.
2. Separate eggs and set whites aside. Add yolks, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, almonds, cayenne and mayonnaise to crab. Rinse, dry and chop enough parsley for 1 tbsp (15 ml) and add to bowl.
3. Squeeze bread dry, add to crab and stir until soft but not sloppy: add some breadcrumbs if mixture is too moist.
4. For coating: put ?our onto one plate and breadcrumbs onto another. Whisk 1 tbsp (15 ml) water into egg whites. Divide crab mixture into eight portions and shape into cakes. Dip into ?our, shake off excess, then dip into egg whites and coat with breadcrumbs.
5. Heat 1/2 in. (1 cm) oil in large frying pan over fairly high heat. Fry ?sh cakes 2–3 minutes per side until crisp and golden, then drain on paper towels and serve two per person.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to rd.ca