• 4 skinless chicken breast fillets
• 1 garlic clove, chopped
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) tikka spice mix
• 2 tbsp (25 ml) canola oil
• 1 onion, sliced
• 1 1/3 cups (325 ml) basmati rice, rinsed
• 2 1/2 cups (625 ml) hot vegetable stock
• 1/3 cup (75 ml) raisins
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped cilantro
• 3 1/2 oz (100 g) cherry tomatoes, halved
• 3 tbsp (45 ml) toasted pine nuts
1. Cut chicken breast fillets into strips and mix with half each of garlic and tikka spice. Marinate while you cook pilaf, turning chicken strips after 10 minutes.
2. Heat canola oil in large pot, add onion and remaining garlic, and cook gently 3 minutes. Mix in basmati rice, then remaining spice powder. Preheat ridged grill pan.
3. Pour hot stock into rice with 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt and raisins. Boil, then simmer. Cover and cook 10 minutes without lifting lid. Liquid should have been absorbed. If necessary, cover and cook 2 minutes more. Add cilantro and tomatoes, stir and remove from heat. Leave 5 minutes, then fork pine nuts through rice gently.
4. Grill chicken strips until just firm, turning once. Spoon pilaf into serving dish and put chicken on top. Serve with lemon wedges.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca
Basmati Pilaf with Tikka Chicken