• 2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil
• 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
• 2 large red peppers, thinly sliced into short strips
• 2 large green peppers thinly sliced into short strips
• 2 sprigs of fresh oregano
• 3 garlic cloves, crushed
• 14 oz (400 g) large ripe tomatoes, diced
• 2 oz (60 g) pitted black olives, halved
• 1 tsp (5 mL) sugar
• good pinch of chili powder
• 1 tbsp (15 mL) wine vinegar
• 14 oz (400 g) skinless thick Pacific cod fillet
• 1 oz (30 g) flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1. Heat olive oil in large, deep frying pan. Add onion, peppers, oregano and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, five minutes or until vegetables are slightly softened.
2. Add tomatoes and olives to pan with sugar, chili powder and vinegar. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, three minutes or until tomatoes are slightly softened. Season to taste.
3. Cut cod into four equal portions and add to pan, shuffling down into vegetables. Reduce heat so that vegetables bubble gently. Cover with foil, crumpling it inside rim of pan; cook five minutes. Cod should be firm, succulent and opaque, with flakes that just separate. Sprinkle parsley over fish and vegetables; serve in large pasta bowls.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca